From: gk <pinklotus@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2 kernel config questions
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 19:28:03
1 Am Donnerstag, 12. November 2009 04:03:22 schrieb Walter Dnes:
2 > 1) If I enable "x86 PAT support" can I drop MTRR support? They seem
3 > to duplicate function.
4 >
5 > 2) I notice that "scsi_wait_scan" *ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS* shows up as
6 > a module when I compile. Is there a way to compile it in? It does not
7 > show up as a menu item anywhere. Even if I manually go into .config
8 > with vim, and change the entry to...
9 >
10 > CONFIG_SCSI_WAIT_SCAN=y
11 >
12 > it *STILL* builds as a module. I've de-crapified my kernel, but what it
13 > needs, I prefer to build into the kernel itself. My bootup menu has 2
14 > entries. The first (default) is "Production", and the second is
15 > "Experimental". I do my screwing around with the experimental version.
16 > If it dies during bootup, I can always go back to production, and
17 > restore from a backup copy of .config. If the experimental kernel runs
18 > OK for a couple of weeks, I promote it to production.
19 >
20 Hi
21 I found this patch some time ago, and use it all the time.
22
23 Signed-off-by: Bernhard Walle <bwalle[at]suse.de>
24 ---
25 drivers/scsi/Kconfig | 11 ++++++++---
26 1 files changed, 8 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)
27
28 diff --git a/drivers/scsi/Kconfig b/drivers/scsi/Kconfig
29 index 403ecad..42b8355 100644
30 --- a/drivers/scsi/Kconfig
31 +++ b/drivers/scsi/Kconfig
32 @@ -257,10 +257,15 @@ config SCSI_SCAN_ASYNC
33 or async on the kernel's command line.
34
35 config SCSI_WAIT_SCAN
36 - tristate
37 + tristate "Module to wait until all the async scans are complete"
38 default m
39 - depends on SCSI
40 - depends on MODULES
41 + depends on SCSI && m
42 + help
43 + This is a simple module to wait until all the async scans are
44 + complete. The idea is to use it in initrd/initramfs scripts. You
45 + modprobe it after all the modprobes of the root SCSI drivers and it
46 + will wait until they have all finished scanning their busses before
47 + allowing the boot to proceed
48
49 menu "SCSI Transports"
50 depends on SCSI
51
52 It's just an example, it will not work as patch. I always change it manual.
53 So it is marked as module and I can disable it.
54
55 Günter