From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System won't boot if CMOS clock is slow
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 17:54:37
1 On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 16:43:16 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > I'm having problems with one of my Gentoo systems who's motherboard
4 > clock is a little slow. When the system comes up, the system time is
5 > set from the motherboard clock. If that's slow, something in the init
6 > system seems to panic because some file or other has a timestamp in
7 > the future.
8
9 Change the motherboard battery?
10
11 Set clock_systohc="YES" in /etc/conf.d/hwclock
12
13 > Just to make it extra convenient, it clears the console screen when
14 > that happens so there's no actual record of what went wrong or which
15 > component in th init process is failing.
16
17 You can stop the console clearing by changing the first terminal line
18 in /etc/inittab to
19
20 c1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty --noclear 38400 tty1 linux
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Isn't 'Criminal Lawyer' rather redundant?