From: Heiko Wundram <me+gentoo-user@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why firefox is so slow?
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 17:24:58
1 Am Sonntag 30 April 2006 14:24 schrieb wu chuanwen:
2 > I think most of us are using firefox now .Do you think it's too slow?In my
3 > machine,if i open 6 or more tabs in firefox,my firefox will be stuck and
4 > even can not scroll up and down.Many peple have the same situation.Do you
5 > think so? And how can you solve this problem?
6
7 Most certainly, this is a memory issue. For every tab you have open, Firefox
8 keeps a 30-something pages history cache in memory, including pictures, for
9 quicker "back-browsing". If you are under tight memory (<512MB, I'd say), you
10 quickly notice that the memory requirements of Firefox make the computer
11 start to swap, and that the system slows down considerably.
12
13 You can turn off this history-caching somewhere, someplace on about:config,
14 but I wouldn't know where. Search the net. You're not the first one to
15 complain about this.
16
17 --- Heiko.
18 --