From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Noob WiFi question (yes-or-no answer will suffice)
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2014 18:06:28
1 On 2014-10-04, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 02, 2014 at 10:24:51PM -0400, Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
3 >>
4 >> > If not, I'll either buy a better USB WiFi adapter or continue to
5 >> > google it.
6 >>
7 >> If you buy a new one, go with a PCI card. PCI is a much better bus
8 >> than USB - more power so the chipset does the majority of the
9 >> processing instead of the typical USB designs that offload a bunch of
10 >> it to your CPU. Also, if you buy a new one, I've had fantastic
11 >> experiences with Intel chipsets.
12 >
13 > OTOH (I not only have 5 fingers, but) one disadvantage of PCI cards
14 > is their possibly bad orientation. Their antennae are hidden behind a
15 > metal box in a corner, which may impede reception. With a USB dongle,
16 > you can plug it into an extension cable and then position wherever
17 > it’s best suited.
18
19 With a PCI card, you can plug into it an extension cable and then
20 position the antenna wherever it's best suited.
23 Grant