From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is gnome becoming obligatory?
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 05:31:38
1 Against my better judgement,
2
3 On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 9:31 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > Up to a point, the same can be said about systemd; although many of its
5 > programs can be and are used by end users, most of it is for distro
6 > builders, programmers and administrators. And having a couple of Gentoo
7 > boxes running Apache doesn't make anyone an administrator, BTW.
8 >
9
10 I have met Gentoo users who maintain, for fun, far more complex and
11 capable systems than some system administrators who are paid for their
12 work. There is no reason you are any more credible than a random
13 mailing list user.
14
15 > That's why most of Gentoo systemd users (and we are *a lot*; Gentoo has
16 > great systemd support with several Gentoo devs collaborating with the
17 > project) usually just ignore this kind of threads. Most of the time is a lot
18 > of people which don't use it badmouthing a really cool piece of technology
19 > that has been adopted by all large (and heavily used) Linux distributions
20 > because the people that understand its technical merits realize that, for
21 > the *general case*, its benefits outweigh whatever costs (in many cases
22 > imaginary) it may have. And besides, for us it just works™, quietly running
23 > in the background.
24 >
25
26 If you are saying this then you are choosing to ignore the technical
27 arguments against systemd. You can claim you don't care and that is
28 fine, but you've ignored what people are talking about and have
29 injected your opinion into the discussion with a false air of
30 superiority.
31
32 The complaints in this thread may be a little extreme, but ultimately
33 I agree these closely connected binary systems are not easily
34 maintainable and are opaque to users.
35
36 Cheers,
37 R0b0t1