From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Install from USB stick; here's how
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 21:17:25
1 On 2013-09-03, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 05:05:22PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote
3 >
4 >> After running the isohybrid command, I compared the resulting image
5 >> with the original. They were identical. I copied the image to a USB
6 >> flash drive, and it booted just fine.
7 >>
8 >> It seems that the minimal install .iso images are already built for
9 >> hybrid booting from either CD or a generic block device (e.g. USB
10 >> mass-storage device).
11 >>
12 >> So what's the deal with http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/LiveUSB/HOWTO?
13 >>
14 >> Why isn't it just the steps below?
15 >>
16 >> 1) Copy the minimal install .iso to USB mass storage device.
17 >>
18 >> 2) Boot from USB mass storage device.
19 >
20 > More importantly, http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-*
21 > files should have this listed. There are a lot of machines now,
22 > especially notebooks, that don't have a CD and/or DVD drive. I do
23 > remember asking devs for the default isohybrid feature. I just
24 > downloaded a amd-64-bit install iso, to update my rescue stick. The
25 > 64-bit install also worked. Do you want me to file a bug on bugzilla in
26 > the documentation section?
27
28 Sure, that would be great. I didn't do that because wasn't sure if
29 the .iso images worked for everybody as-is, or if the old "tap-dance"
30 was still required for the general case (for people with older BIOSes
31 or something).
34 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I always have fun
35 at because I'm out of my
36 gmail.com mind!!!