From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Local mail server
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 16:14:38
1 On 7/29/20 1:28 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > I don't know what most ISPs are doing. I couldn't get IPv6 via
3 > Comcast (or whatever they're called this week) working with OpenWRT
4 > (probably my fault, and I didn't really need it). So I never figured
5 > out if the IPv6 address I was getting was static or not.
6
7 Ya.... That was probably a DHCPv6 for outside vs DHCPv6 Provider
8 Delegation (PD) issue. I remember running into that with Comcast. I
9 think for a while, they were mutually exclusive on Comcast.
10
11 > There is DHPCv6 (I've implemented it), but I have no idea if anybody
12 > actually uses it. Even if they are using DHCPv6, they can be using
13 > it to hand out static addresses.
14
15 I've seen DHCPv6 used many times. It can be stateless (in combination
16 with SLAAC to manage the address) or stateful (where DHCPv6 manages the
17 address). Either way, there is a LOT more information that can be
18 specified with DHCPv6 that simple SLAAC doesn't provide. For a long
19 time you couldn't dynamically determine DNS server IP addresses without
20 DHCPv6 or static configuration.
21
22 > The assumption always seemed to be that switching to IPv6 meant the
23 > end of NAT
24
25 That's what the IPv6 Zealots want you to think.
26
27 > and the end of dynamic addresses.
28
29 Nope, not at all.