From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from old udev to eudev
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 01:29:50
1 On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 12:28:38PM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > Ok, rehashing this, but please don't turn it into another udev vs
5 > systemd thread.
6 >
7 > I have an older server that I have been putting off this update,
8 > debating on whether to update to the regular udev, or to eudev.
9 >
10 > I've googled until my fingers are blue, but cannot for the life of me
11 > find any explicit instructions for *how* to switch from udev to eudev.
12
13 Step 1)
14 keyword sys-fs/eudev-1_beta2-r2
15
16 Step 2)
17 ensure that "kmod" and "openrc" and "-modutils" USE flags are set (at
18 least for sys-fs/eudev). "tools" flag needs to be set for sys-apps/kmod
19 (usually a system default)
20
21 Step 3)
22 unmerge udev sys-apps/modutils
23 (You *MUST* specify "sys-apps/modutils" to avoid confusion with
24 "virtual/modutils")
25
26 Step 4)
27 emerge eudev
28 (should pull in kmod)
29
30 Step 5)
31 The following message shows up in elog. Do as it says...
32
33 > WARN: postinst
34 >
35 > You need to restart eudev as soon as possible to make the
36 > upgrade go into effect:
37 > /etc/init.d/udev --nodeps restart
40 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
41 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications