From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Problem with gcc5 and VirtualBox
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 17:57:51
1 I routinely use a virtual gentoo ~amd64 machine in VirtualBox for
2 debugging software problems and yesterday I found one after switching
3 from gcc-4.9.3 to gcc-5.3.0 (in the gentoo guest).
4
5 After emerging mesa-11.1.2-r1 I noticed that a game wouldn't start, and
6 after several hours of debugging I tracked it down to gcc5.
7
8 To demonstrate the bug, in an xterm window type "glxinfo":
9
10 # glxinfo
11 name of display: :0.0
12 libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
13 libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
14 X Error of failed request: GLXBadContext
15 Major opcode of failed request: 153 (GLX)
16 Minor opcode of failed request: 6 (X_GLXIsDirect)
17 Serial number of failed request: 48
18 Current serial number in output stream: 47
19
20 I could 'fix' the bug by replacing just that one file (swrast_dri.so)
21 with a copy compiled with gcc-4.9.3. I'm surprised it worked, but it
22 did.
23
24 I tried building mesa using gcc5 on a real ~amd64 machine and did *not*
25 see the same problem, FWIW, but though I'd mention it here.
26
27 BTW I tried building the vbox guest additions with gcc5 as a test but
28 that didn't fix the problem. I don't have a real machine that's built
29 entirely with gcc5 so I can't test that idea yet, and that won't be any
30 time soon. I'm sticking to gcc4 for the foreseeable future while you
31 guys do more testing :)