From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: decrapify your kernel config WAS: ps shows pegasus process running - what is it?
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 00:51:04
1 On Sonntag 08 November 2009, Stroller wrote:
2 > On 8 Nov 2009, at 00:10, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > ...
4 > > using a livecds kernel is probably the worst decision out there.
5 > >
6 > > http://www.kroah.com/lkn/
7 > >
8 > > as you can see, you don't have to download it.
9 > >
10 > > Or just do it step for step, reading help files.
11 > >
12 > > seccomp? Except Andrea Arcangeli nobody uses it. Can be deactivated.
13 > > I2O?
14 > > Almost nobody uses it. Especially not 'commodity' hardware, out it
15 > > goes. Numa?
16 > > Do you have a multi-socket system? No? Then you don't need it. ...
17 > > you can
18 > > remove a lot of cruft that way. Namespaces - you don't need it? Kick
19 > > 'em out.
20 > > Group scheduling? Sure, a great way to reduce performance...
21 >
22 > But Volker, if it takes me an hour to decrapify my kernel config and
23 > make it faster, it will probably take 1000 years for those speed
24 > improvements to pay off.
25 >
26 > If I had unlimited time then I would love to read that book. I really
27 > LIKE the idea of decrapifying my kernel config. But realistically, any
28 > time I spend on it is time wasted, for which no difference will be
29 > appreciable.
30 >
31 > Stroller.
34 I am not you, but I need maybe 5min for a config ;)
35
36 and there are more benefits. Smaller binary, more cpu cache free for real data.
37 Better performance lies that way. Also, you don't have to wonder about
38 processes you did not start. Security is also a point. A smaller codebase in
39 use is a saver codebase in use. A lot of bugs only affect kernels with certain
40 features turned on - it is very relaxing if you don't have that feature...