From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Identifying missing modules...
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 22:14:33
1 On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 10:08 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > when doing as root
6 >
7 >    lspci -vk
8 >
9 > I get all pci devices and "bus inhabitants" listed.
10 > Additionally there are often two lines added to each
11 > device saying similiar things like:
12 >
13 >        Kernel driver in use: >XYZ>
14 >        Kernel modules: <XYZ>
15 >
16 > and there other devices do not have similiar entries.
17 >
18 > My question is: How can I distinguish devices/entities,
19 > which do not need any driver to work and those, which
20 > need a driver but in the current setup the driver wasn't
21 > compiled in/compiled as module?
22 >
23 > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
24 > Best regards,
25 > mcc
26
27 Devices that need a driver are listed as 'Kernel driver in use:'
28 whether the driver is compiled in or not.
29
30 Devices that have their driver compiled in do not have the line
31 'Kernel modules:'
32
33 Devices that have neither line are controlled by the kernel but don't
34 need anything from the driver section.
35
36 I suppose there is the possibility that lspci could find a PCI device
37 which hasn't had a driver selected as module or builtin and then not
38 show anything. In this case I expect that the device wouldn't
39 function.
40
41 Hope this helps,
42 Mark