From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to extend the tmux status 'title' for each pane or window
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 05:59:41
1 On Monday 02 Jun 2014 15:17:10 Stroller wrote:
2 > On Sat, 31 May 2014, at 4:22 pm, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > I am using tmux and find it convenient especially for managing remote
4 > > sessions, but I have noticed that the commands running in a session shown
5 > > at the bottom right hand side, within the status line, are too short.
6 > > Can I extend the number of characters to be able to see more of the
7 > > command being run at any time?
8 >
9 > I only see a *maximum* length option in the manpage - presumably because
10 > tmux allocates as much space as possible to the left and right statuses,
11 > but space must be consumed by the window titles in the middle.
12 >
13 > Is it possible you can give the right hand side more room by reducing the
14 > maximum of the left?
15 >
16 > I'm interested to know what you're displaying on the right - it's been so
17 > long since I set up tmux, I can't remember what the defaults are. Could
18 > you possibly post the output of `tmux show -g status-right`, please?
19 >
20 > I have:
21 >
22 > $ tmux show -g | grep -E 'status-[lr]'
23 > status-left "#[fg=blue]#T"
24 > status-left-attr none
25 > status-left-bg default
26 > status-left-fg default
27 > status-left-length 20
28 > status-right "#[fg=blue][#S]"
29 > status-right-attr none
30 > status-right-bg default
31 > status-right-fg default
32 > status-right-length 40
33 > $
34 >
35 Thanks Stroller,
36
37 On the left status bar I see this:
38
39 [0] 0:bash*
40
41 with one window open. As I create more windows it adds to it like so:
42
43 [0] 0:bash 1:bash- 2:bash*
46 The right hand side shows the prompt, or command being run, but not all of it
47 if it is too long.
48
49 This is the output you requested:
50
51 $ tmux show -g status-right
52 status-right ""#22T" %H:%M %d-%b-%y"
53
54 and this are the equivalent settings to yours:
55
56 $ tmux show -g | grep -E 'status-[lr]'
57 status-left "[#S]"
58 status-left-attr none
59 status-left-bg default
60 status-left-fg default