From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [Fwd: Re: Gentoo Rules]
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 20:47:30
1 On Saturday 15 December 2007, Randy Barlow wrote:
2
3 > It's not too hard to start a separate instance of apache. You just
4 > copy /etc/init.d/apache2 to, say, /etc/init.d/backuppcApache2.
5 > Likewise copy the /etc/conf.d scripts, and change in the backuppc one
6 > the reference to the httpd.conf to, say, /etc/BackupPC/httpd.conf.
7 > Then, in that .conf file, make sure that you change the things to be
8 > suitable for BackupPC (in particular, get rid of the lines that
9 > include *.conf's from certain directories because these will cause
10 > apache to try and use the same PID! Make sure you specify a new PID
11 > file, among a few other related things) I really don't think the
12 > ebuild should let you use the same instance of apache that
13 > /etc/init.d/apache2 starts, because this would be a security risk.
14
15 Well, if you want the setuid behavior (vs. having a separate instance),
16 you have to use the already-existing apache.
17
18 > For example, I use BackupPC to back up three machines, in their
19 > entirety. That means that backuppc has the rights to change any files
20 > on those three machines. I've also got a webserver running, open to
21 > the internet, on my backuppc machine. If people on the internet can
22 > access backuppc, they can pretty much access all three of those other
23 > machines. But if I run on port 8080, and have that port blocked by a
24 > firewall, this is no longer a concern.
25
26 Ideally, the box running backuppc does not offer public services and thus
27 should not be exposed to the Internet, so I think that the configuration
28 should not be thought as if it were.
29 Rather, I'd assume that the backuppc box is on the trusted internal lan,
30 with no direct exposure to internet, and configure accordingly (and see
31 below).
32
33 > The other option is to install password protection by default, but
34 > then you have to have competent users who can change the httpd
35 > passwords. I suppose you could write this as an instruction at the
36 > end of the ebuild. But, are htaccess passwords sent in plaintext? If
37 > so, that's also a major security risk.
38
39 If you use plain text authentication, yes they are sent as clear text. If
40 you use digest authentication, they are not cleartext but are very
41 easily decoded. Again, the backuppc box is supposed to be inside the
42 trusted lan and not exposed to public internet access.
43 AFAICT, the ebuilds that install files into apache documentroot do not
44 concern themselves with authentication (if nothing else because apache
45 supports zillions of authentication methods, so what the user wants
46 cannot be anticipated), thus apache access control configuration should
47 imho be left out of the ebuild and performed as a subsequent step by the
48 administrator (in some cases it should not even be needed, eg if the
49 only user is the administrator).
50 --
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list