From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Pseudo first impressions
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 14:40:15
1 Hello, Gentoo.
2
3 Now able to boot into my new hardware, one of the first things I did was
4
5 # emerge --sync
6
7 . Fine. The next thing I tried was
8
9 # emerge -auND @world
10
11 , which is probably recommended in the handbook. This was anything but
12 fine.
13
14 I'm glad I'm not a real Gentoo newby, because I would have been
15 completely flumoxed by what came up on my screen.
16
17 For a start, I could barely read parts of it, which were displayed in
18 dark blue text on a black background. Setting up /etc/portage/color.map
19 is not the first thing a new user should have to do to be able to read
20 messages from emerge. This is, however, something I knew had to be
21 done, and I did it.
22
23 The error message was "Multiple package instances within a single
24 package slot have been pulled into the dependency graph, resulting in a
25 slot conflict:". Uhh???
26
27 Is this gobbledegook really what a new user should be seeing, having not
28 yet installed any packages, bar a very few, beyond what is requisite to
29 bringing a new machine up?
30
31 The actual conflict packages are:
32 dev-lang/perl-5.24.1-r1:0/5.24::gentoo
33 and
34 dev-lang/perl-5.22.3-rc4:0/5.22::gentoo
35 , "pulled in" by internal system packages I've got no direct interest
36 in, plus, shockingly, "and 2 more with the same problem" and "and 5 more
37 with the same problem".
38
39 I'm glad I've got the experience with Gentoo to know it's worth
40 ploughing on through these messes.
41
42 Other than that, it seems like a pretty ghastly mistake by Gentoo's
43 quality control. I know none of you get paid for it, and you all do it
44 for love. I admit I probably wouldn't have done the job much better
45 myself. But for Gentoo's sake, something needs to get better.
48 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).