From: Antoine <melser.anton@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] to mail or not to mail
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:19:03
1 Hi,
2 I am trying to get php to send an email and am completely lost. It seems
3 as though I had it working on an mdk box at work today, cos I got the
4 messages on my yahoo account, but now I am trying to set up a similar
5 thing at home I am getting nowhere. I have never done anything apart
6 from setting up pop/smtp servers in gui mail clients and once in a
7 networking class we sent an email via telnet.
8 Having done the extremely simple cl mail sending I was under the
9 impression that this would be simple!
10 I just can't work out why it is so difficult... first of all ssmtp was
11 blocking everything. So I uninstall and install postfix. I try to get
12 postfix going but get lots of abusive messages about it not liking
13 certain parameters (the default php ones). Now I read the ssmtp man page
14 and ask myself - why shouldn't this work? All I want to do is send a
15 simple little email - if telnet can do it then this can...
16 Now I reinstall ssmtp and nothing is working. From mutt, sendmail (see
17 below) and the php script I get the below.
18
19 tux ~ # sendmail antt@localhost
20 hithere
21
22 sendmail: Cannot open mail:25
23
24 I don't want to do ANYTHING but have php send emails. I don't really
25 care about security (for the moment) and really just want it to work
26 without thinking about it! Can someone give me some advice?
27 Cheers
28 Antoine
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list