From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Adding fonts in LaTeX (app-text/tetex-3.0_p1-r4)
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 11:56:21
1 Hi there,
2
3 I have TeTeX installed on my system, which is only used by my
4 accounting program, LedgerSMB. It uses .tex format for the invoice
5 and this allows good control over layout - invoices can be printed or
6 emailed as PDF.
7
8 In order to make my invoice reflect my "brand identity" I have
9 installed some additional fonts on the system (using dev-tex/mpm) and
10 use these in the invoice.tex. I use Augie for the san serif body text
11 and Augie - one of the Emerald fonts - for "hand-written" notes.
12
13 Unfortunately an `emerge world` upgraded TeTeX yesterday and only
14 afterwards did I notice:
15
16 >>> Messages generated by process 19917 on 2007-10-28 12:57:40 for
17 package app-text/tetex-3.0_p1-r4:
18
19 WARN: setup
20
21 teTeX 3.0 ebuild will remove config files stored in /usr/share/texmf.
22 Please make a backup before upgrading if you changed anything.
23
24 WARN: preinst
25 Removing /usr/share/texmf/web2c
26
27 LOG: postinst
28
29 Now, none of my fonts work, and the invoice produced by LedgerSMB is
30 blank. :(
31
32 I remember this happened before, but the last time I upgraded was
33 March, and I can't remember how I fixed it. :(
34 I will take detailed notes this time. :/
35
36 There are three different updmap.cfg files on my system:
37
38 $ locate updmap.cfg
39 /etc/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
40 /etc/texmf/updmap.d/00updmap.cfg
41 /var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
42 /usr/share/man/man5/updmap.cfg.5.bz2
43 $
44
45 I had thought the trick was to add these lines at the foot of one of
46 them:
47
48 Map /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/emerald.map
49 Map /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/arev/arev.map
50
51 But this is to no avail. I know that Arev depends on some other fonts
52 (maths fonts? bera?), but I'd expected that this would at least show
53 the parts of the invoice which use the emerald font. The font files
54 in /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/ have been unaffected by the upgrade
55 & are still there (but just to be on the safe side uninstalling them
56 & reinstalling them doesn't make any difference).
57
58 When I run `updmap && texhash` I see that files in my home directory
59 are updated:
60
61 updmap: This is updmap, version 1122009795
62 updmap: using transcript file `/home/stroller/.texmf-var/web2c/
63 updmap.log'
64
65 updmap is creating new map files using the following configuration:
66
67 config file: `/var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg'
68 dvips output directory: `/home/stroller/.texmf-var/fonts/map/
69 dvips/updmap'
70 pdftex output directory: `/home/stroller/.texmf-var/fonts/map/
71 pdftex/updmap'
72 dvipdfm output directory: `/home/stroller/.texmf-var/fonts/map/
73 dvipdfm/updmap'
74 ...
75 updmap: Scanning for Map entries:
76 updmap: using map file `/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/
77 arev/arev.map'
78 updmap: using map file `/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/
79 emerald.map'
80 updmap: using map file `/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/antp/
81 antp.map'
82 updmap: using map file `/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/psnfss/
83 charter.map'
84 ...
85
86 texhash: Updating /home/stroller/.texmf-var/ls-R...
87 texhash: Updating /usr/local/share/texmf/ls-R...
88 texhash: Updating /usr/share/texmf/ls-R...
89 texhash: Updating /usr/share/texmf-site/ls-R...
90 texhash: Updating /var/cache/fonts/ls-R...
91 texhash: Updating /var/lib/texmf/ls-R...
92 texhash: Done.
93
94 As you can see arev & emerald are mentioned, but I don't seem to be
95 able to use emerald even on a test.tex file in my home dir. And they
96 certainly don't work in the invoice. Running `updmap && texhash` as
97 root makes no difference.
98
99 Can anyone tell me the correct place to add fonts to TeTeX so that
100 they'll be accessible for all users, please? I think that the way I
101 have done this in the past may be "unofficial" - I think I've added
102 my local fonts to the master list of fonts shipped with TeTeX as a
103 distro, and that's why they've been over-written - but it has been
104 the only way in the past that I've got this to work. And now I can't
105 find that list at all. :(
106
107 Any comments or assistance will b VERY GRATEFULLY received.
108
109 Stroller.
110 --
111 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list