From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 06:11:36
1 On 06/24/2011 10:18 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
2 > Am Freitag, 24. Juni 2011, 08:04:43 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
3 >> On 06/24/2011 01:16 AM, Dale wrote:
4 >>> If it works with fortran turned on, I'd leave it alone. With hindsight,
5 >>> I should have left well enough alone anyway. It wasn't hurting a thing.
6 >>> Watch the elog messages. It will tell you at some point to either enable
7 >>> fortran or emerge some other package that I forget the name of. That one
8 >>> package pulled several dependencies on my rig. YMMV.
9 >>
10 >> Well, as I said in another post, I do have -fortan in my make.conf and
11 >> there are no problems. I do not have programs installed that need a
12 >> fortran compiler. And I do not have kde-meta installed; that's a waste
13 >> of resources. I only install what I actually need.
14 >
15 > You have no programs, that *need* fortran, but it could well be, that you have
16 > programs installed, that perform better when compiled with a fortran compiler.
17 > I think of sci-libs/fftw here as an example. It's used by programs like
18 > blender, imagemagick and maybe some others. The developers of said library use
19 > fortran, because they benchmarked it. If you disable fortran, you use the
20 > slower C fallback solution. If you disable fftw in those packages, you get a
21 > slower implementation too afaik.
22 > After all, gentoo is a source based distribution. We all already have a couple
23 > of languages installed. There's a C compiler a standard user will never use.
24 > There's a C++ compiler only used by programmers. We all have them, only to
25 > compile programs, that need them.
26 > Why not enable fortran, even if it's only optional, to get the best of the
27 > available implementations? In the end it's only one programming language more
28 > installed on your system.
29
30 Because there is absolutely no clue in the USE descriptions that this is
31 the "best implementation" or whatever.