From: Dan Johansson <Dan.Johansson@×××.nu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux Fiber SAN
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 06:34:01
1 On 12.06.2013 06:57, Norman Rieß wrote:
2 > Am 11.06.2013 16:19, schrieb Nick Khamis:
3 >> Hello Everyone,
4 >>
5 >> Was wondering what people are running these days, and how do they
6 >> compare to the 10,000 dollar SAN boxes. We are looking to build a fiber
7 >> san using IET and glusterFS, and was wondering what kind of luck people
8 >> where having using this approach, or any for that matter.
9 >
10 > the question is, what are you doing with it and why do you think you
11 > need a fibre channel SAN.
12 > Our goal indeed is to get rid of the SAN infrastructure as it is
13 > delicately to all kinds of failure with nearly zero fault tolerance.
14 > An example, you have an hicup or a power failure in your network. SAN is
15 > dead from nowon and must be reinitialized on the server. Simple NFS
16 > comes back up without any fuzz.
17 > Another, you boot your storage systems due to an os update or something
18 > like that. Your SAN will be dead. NFS will just go on as if nothing
19 > happened.
20 > We use netapp storage systems which are NAS and SAN capable.
21 > Another point is, that if you have a SAN lun, there is either no way to
22 > increase or decrease size on the fly, on cifs or nfs you can resize your
23 > share on the go.
24 >
25 > So if you do not have a _really_ good reason to use a fribre channel
26 > SAN, don't!
27
28 Hello,
29
30 I tend to disagree. A correctly designed SAN (using dual Fabric among
31 other things) is a lot more stable and has a lot better performance than
32 any NAS (NFS, CIFS, iSCSI) solution. One other thing that also needs to
33 be correctly configured to have a stable SAN infrastructure is the
34 servers on it (Multipathing, partition alignment, queue depth, ...)
35 according to the storage vendors recommendation.
36 LUN expansion/shrink is storage vendor specific, some can not (netapp
37 apparently) but others can.
38
39 Just my 2 cents.
40
41 Regards,
42 --
43 Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
45 This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!

0x2FB894AD.asc application/pgp-keys