From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "Headless question": Harvesting the results...software needed.
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 14:10:38
1 meino.cramer@×××.de <meino.cramer@×××.de> [14-09-30 16:08]:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > with lot of help of this forum (***TAHNKS!***) I now
5 > have a embedded device which is able to
6 > dis/connect itsself from/to the LAN, set the clock via ntp-client
7 > and is able to fire up a tool, which collects
8 > data from sensors and put those into
9 > a file ... even if the tool has no
10 > connection to a terminal.
11 >
12 > Next step will be to connect a GPS module
13 > (ordered) to the GPIO pins of that board
14 > (which is quite offtopic and I fear therefore
15 > my sole problem... ;).
16 >
17 > Suppose the GPS would already be attached
18 > to the board and works...
19 >
20 > Is there any free available software and data for
21 > strict offline useage (which does NOT calls
22 > to home), which is able to map GPS data to a street/land
23 > map?
24 > I need both: The maps themselves and the logic to read
25 > GPS coordinates and map movements and ways to those maps.
26 >
27 > Is something like that available for free or should
28 > I directly ask the NSA/CIA/FBI/...?
29 >
30 > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
31 > Best regards,
32 > mcc
38 Hi all,
39
40 first of all I want to thank you all, who have participated in this
41 thread and offered their help and wisdom. :)
42
43 The result is: Now there is a cigarette sized metal case, which
44 includes a Beaglebone Black running Gentoo Linux, an Ultimate GPS
45 receiver chip on a breakout board both made by Adafruit Industries
46 (Lady Ada) and even the software to display position and track (if
47 any).
48
49 To summarize:
50 - Hardware: Beaglebone Black, Ultimate GPS, metal case for Beaglebone
51 Black, uf.l to RMA adapter cable (which socket nicely fits into a
52 hole of the metal case) and an external GPS antenna (adapter and
53 antenna by Adafruit Industries). Additionally a 4600mAh LiOn accu
54 pack to power the whole thing.
55 - Software: Gpsd, Foxtrotgps, x11vnc, xvfb, ifplugd
56
57 When I boot the Beaglbone Black via accupack it starts gpsd and the
58 GPS receiver begins to sync with satelites in view. If done gpsd will
59 collect the data. Since the output of gpsdpipe (comes with gpsd) is
60 json format, in the simplest case one could stream the data onto
61 disk/flash.
62
63 When I boot the Beaglebone at home, I plug in the LAN (which will be
64 recognized by ifplugs, which in turn reinitializes everything needed.
65
66 Now I fire xvfb and xvnc and start foxtrotgps.
67
68 On my PC I can easily can display the "desktop" of the Beaglebone
69 Black via tigervnc (vncviewer).
70
71 Two things need still to be investigated: How can I store GPSdata onto the
72 flash in a way, that no additional data is stored if no movement is
73 there. And I have to prevent, that a sector/block/organisation unit
74 of the flash is written more than once to prevent ware out of the
75 flash.
76
77 Secondly I have to figure out how to feed store data into foxtrotgps,
78 which normally directly connects to/with gpsd.
79
80 Foxtrottgps reads maps from OSM and store them on disk/flash and
81 reuses this. So this kinda "delayed offline browsing";)) :))
82
83 Thank you very much again! :)
84
85 Best regards and have a nice weekend!
86 mcc