From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Disable fcron logging
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 19:01:29
1 On 22 Aug 2010, at 11:26, Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Stroller writes:
5 >> #!/bin/bash
6 >> while true
7 >> do
8 >> for drive in a b c d
9 >> do
10 >> /usr/sbin/smartctl /dev/sd$drive --whatever >> /var/log/hdstate
11 >> done
12 >> sleep 60
13 >> done
14 >
15 > I use hdparm and hddtemp:
16 >
17 > for hd in sda sdb sdc sdd
18 > do
19 > ...
20 > echo "$hd: $state $temp"
21 > done
22
23 The script with which you reply is missing the sleep 60 loop.
24
25 > ...
26 > The problem with cron is that I get those cron logs I do not like, and
27 > that the update time of 60 seconds is a little long. Running the
28 > script in
29 > a loop, started in .kde4/Autostart, would be better, but as a user I
30 > have
31 > no permission to call hdparm or hdtemp. I do not want to be part of
32 > the
33 > disk group, and when using sudo I would get the logs by sudo I
34 > wanted to
35 > avoid. So now I SUID'ed hdparm and hddtemp, changed the group to
36 > wheel and
37 > disabled execution for others. cron problem not solved, but
38 > workarounded.
39
40 Running a script which contains `while true ... sleep 60` will cause
41 only a single logging action. You can run it as root at startup using /
42 etc/conf.d/local.start and have the file world readable.
43
44 Stroller.