From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual booting Dell with Windows 7
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 18:09:27
1 On 1 March 2010 15:04, Peter Ruskin <peter.ruskin@×××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sunday 28 February 2010 23:51:21 Mick wrote:
3 >> I have now succeeded at achieving what I wanted:  to use the
4 >> Windows 7 boot manager (bootmgr.exe) which is the successor to
5 >> NTLDR to chainload GRUB from it and so leave the Windows
6 >> installation intact (at least until the warranty expires) ;-)
7 [snip ...]
8
9 > Thanks for the howto, Mick.  I followed it on my Windows Vista Home
10 > Premium 64; got "The operation completed successfully" all the way
11 > through, but on reboot I don't get a boot menu.
12
13 Can you please post your partition table (cfdisk, or parted will do),
14 let me know which is your Gentoo /boot partition if it is not obvious
15 and the drive letters as understood by Vista when it is running. A
16 screenshot of gparted will help (email off list to keep the bandwidth
17 down) because it also shows the Labels.
18
19 > This doesn't matter much to me at the moment, as I use Acronis OSS
20 > Selector for boot manager, but this doesn't work on Windows 7, so
21 > my free update to Windows 7 is gathering dust.
22
23 As long as the upgrade to Windows 7 does not mess up the MS boot
24 partition then achieving this in Vista will be a good dry run for when
25 you install Windows 7. However, I am not sure that you will be able
26 to achieve this test run while Acronis is managing your boot session.
27 My method implies that you use the native MSWindows boot manager.
28
30 > Gentoo Linux: Portage 2.2_rc63                  kernel-2.6.32-gentoo-r5
31 > AMD Phenom(tm) 9950 Quad-Core Processor         gcc(Gentoo: 4.4.3)
32 > KDE: 3.5.10                                     Qt: 3.3.8b
40 Regards,
41 Mick