From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ideas for a mini-FAQ/HOWTO
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:47:31
1 On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 10:00:17AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote
2 > On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 00:43:01 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >
4 > > 1) In /etc/make.conf set the following entry...
5 > > MAKEOPTS="-j1"
6 > > Do *NOT*, I repeat, do *NOT* use higher numbers. You are begging
7 > > for problems if you do so.
8 >
9 > This is a blanket statement that will only slow down compiles for
10 > a lot of people that use higher numbers with no problems. I use j2
11 > on three different boxes and I don't recall a single problem on any
12 > of them.
13
14 I can compromise by giving people a choice between...
15
16 a) Run the safe setting "-j1"
17
18 b) Run a with a higher value. If a compile blows up on you, try it
19 again with "-j1" before reporting a bug or asking for help.
20
21 I start up my big emerges just before going to bed, or just before
22 going to work in the morning. They're usually ready by the time I get
23 back to the computer. Actually, maybe that idea should be part of my
24 hints<g>.
27 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
28 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
29 --