From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing Gentoo in a xen VM
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 23:18:53
1 "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
2
3 > On Thursday, December 04, 2014 07:11:12 PM lee wrote:
4 >> > Why is the networking complicated? Do you use bridging?
5 >>
6 >> Yes --- and it was terrible to begin with and still is very complicated.
7 >> One of the VMs has a network card passed through to do pppoe for the
8 >> internet connection, and it also does routing and firewalling. The
9 >> Gentoo VM is supposed to have another network card passed through
10 >> because I want a separate network for miscellaneous devices like IP
11 >> phones and printers. Asterisk is going to run on the Gentoo VM.
12 >
13 > This sounds convoluted. Why add to the complexity by adding multiple network
14 > cards into the machine and pass the physical cards?
15
16 How else do you do pppoe and keep the different networks physically
17 seperated?
18
19 >> Besides devices, there's the usual net, dmz and loc zones. To top it
20 >> off, sooner or later I want to pass another network card to the
21 >> firewall/router because I have an internet connection which is currently
22 >> not in use and should be employed as an automatic fallback.
23 >
24 > How many cards are you planning on having in the machine?
25 > Are all these connected to the same switch?
26
27 It has currently four network ports. Only one of them is connected to
28 the switch. Another one is connected to the pppoe line, and the other
29 two (on a dual card) aren't connected yet.
30
31 I plan to use one for the devices network and the other one for the
32 second internet connection. None of them needs to/should be connected
33 to the switch. The VM running asterisk will need a second interface
34 that connects to a bridge so it can reach the router/firewall. The
35 interface for the second internet connection needs to be passed to the
36 router/firewall.
37
38 Can you think of an easier setup?
42 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
43 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.