From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] glibc 2.12.1-r1 seems to not be working correctly
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 19:44:39
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Apparently, though unproven, at 20:57 on Sunday 22 August 2010,
4 > covici@××××××××××.com did opine thusly:
5 >
6 > > > There is a way to downgrade for the brave.
7 > > >
8 > > >
9 > > >
10 > > > quickpkg glibc
11 > > > move the 2.11.? version ebuild you want to your local overlay.
12 > > > Edit it and find the check that disallows downgrades. Comment it out.
13 > > > Mask glibc2.12
14 > > > update glibc
15 > > >
16 > > >
17 > > >
18 > > > At this point it's probably very wise to rebuild at least system, then
19 > > > revdep- rebuild. Note that rebuilding system might fail in which case
20 > > > you are really up the creek.
21 > > >
22 > > >
23 > > >
24 > > > Feel free to rip to pieces the dev that committed this version. It could
25 > > > not possibly have undergone decent testing
26 > >
27 > > I have another idea -- what would I have to restore from backup to
28 > > completely cancel the entire update process I have done since yesterday
29 > > -- and then I could mask off the bad glibc and be back to something at
30 > > least somewhat consistent?
31 >
32 >
33 > I too have another idea - look at emerge.log and tell us what you emerged
34 > since yesterday. Then restore those packages.
35 >
36 >
37 > --
38 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
39
40 If I tried that -- how would I downgrade glibc in the process -- I am
41 sure I could figure out all the packages, but that downgrade scares me
42 -- would I do the packages in reverse order, or what? I also changed my
43 gcc before this update, I could certainly reverse that as well.
44
45 --
46 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
47 How do
48 you spend it?
49
50 John Covici