From: "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Travelling in Greece, need advice
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 15:23:28
1 On Jul 6, 2005, at 6:49 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2
3 > On Wednesday 06 July 2005 07:11, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Jul 5, 2005, at 10:53 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> On Wednesday 06 July 2005 03:29, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>>> I would not trust a wifi setup by a unknown 3rd party to do online
10 >>>>> banking.
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>> The security of the average wifi is pretty low. Because of
13 >>>>> lazyness, stupidity
14 >>>>> or bugs.
15 >>>>>
16 >>>>
17 >>>> However, any good bank will have SSL for the higher level
18 >>>> protocols,
19 >>>> and the wifi should be as secure as public wired connections (ie
20 >>>> DSL
21 >>>> etc). (which is to say, not secure). If you trust your cable
22 >>>> modem
23 >>>> or DSL to do SSL-enabled online banking, you should be ok with the
24 >>>> wifi
25 >>>>
26 >>>
27 >>> hm, you want to tell me, that it is as easy to get into the
28 >>> computer room,
29 >>>
30 >>
31 >> No need to get into the computer room. Plenty of cables leading out
32 >> of the computer room. I could tap any of my neighbors cable lines or
33 >> phone lines without them knowing and without going into their house.
34 >>
35 >> Once you get outside the computer room you are on the unprotected
36 >> internet, whether you are on wifi or DSL or cable or modem to get
37 >> there.
41 > ok, but where I live, you have to dig, to get to the cables.. and
42 > then you
43 > still do not know, which cable to hack out of the bundle.
44 > While with a wifi, all you need is a good antenna.
45
46 Nope, no digging. Phone lines terminate in handy little boxes on the
47 side of the houses. Cable modem lines have little termination
48 pedestals on the street and single cable going into the building
49
50 Chad
51
52 > --
53 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
57 ---
58 Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
59 Your Web App and Email hosting provider
60 chad@×××××.net
64 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list