From: "Arttu V." <arttuv69@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] python-updater broken
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 00:53:56
1 On 10/23/08, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > One of my systems in an old Pentium III (Coppermine).
5 > python-updater will not complete. It echoes one
6 > line and then sits indefinately (for a day or more).
7 ...
8 > Here's what else happens:
9 >
10 > # eselect python list
11 > !!! Error: Can't load module python
14 > thoughts and ideas are most welcome.
15
16 Some thoughts, not really informed, but trying to lure some better
17 experts and ideas out:
18
19 - Maybe you should run python-updater with several "-v" options? Maybe
20 it will become more talkative? (See man page and/or the script itself)
21
22 - Maybe the disks or filesystems have some problems or bit-rot after
23 having possibly been powered on 24/7 for a long time? Has there been
24 power outages? Voluntary fsck time!
25
26 - Has something happened to your scanelf? emerge -1 pax-utils might
27 fix some issues
28
29 - I'd guess eselect python complaining like above is probably just
30 normal, unless you're supposed to have eselect-python package
31 installed (many systems probably don't and you say your system is sort
32 of minimal anyway?)
33
34 - Does anything unusual appear in /var/log/messages or other logs?
37 Arttu V.