From: Sebastian Wiesner <basti.wiesner@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] loop-aes + extra-ciphers...
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 18:52:26
1 Chris Walters <cjw2004d@×××××××.net> at Wednesday 25 June 2008, 17:14:20
2
3 > | Rumor has it that the three-letter agencies (CIA, KGB, M.A.V.O. [2],
4 > | etc) can break those algorithms relatively easy. On the other hand even
5 > | weaker algorithms can protect your data against laptop thieves.
6
7 You had better used the acronym FUD instead of the word "rumor". US
8 government itself has declared Rijndael 256 sufficient for classified
9 information up to top secret. This level of security is shared among all
10 AES finalists like RC6 or Serpent.
11
12 > That's more than a rumor. Another three letter agency (NSA) has networks
13 > of supercomputers that can brute force a passphrase is little time.
14
15 Bruteforcing a _passphrase_ is not the same as bruteforcing a key. An both
16 of these don't have nothing to do with the algorithm itself. They are
17 side-attacks ... a weak passphrase is user idiocity, not a cipher
18 weakness.
19
20 > It is not that I'm terribly paranoid about people getting my data, I just
21 > want to make it a little harder.
22
23 What's the point in making the impossible even harder?
24
25 > Of course, it is always possible to insert code that will send the
26 > unencrypted data, once you've logged on - not easy for the casual user,
27 > but for the guru, an easy thing.
28
29 That's operating system security and has nothing to do with cryptology.
30 Someone having only your hard disk can't inject a rootkit into the system.
33 Freedom is always the freedom of dissenters.
34 (Rosa Luxemburg)