From: Don Jerman <djerman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Machine freezes during gcc compile
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 18:09:33
1 If it's brand-new, have you ever installed Linux on this particular
2 processor/motherboard combination? I had a problem with freezeups
3 with my TurionX2 laptop until I used -noapic on the kernel line.
4 Nothing much to do with load, except that more work = more chance of
5 encountering the problem.
6
7 I also had heat-related issues until I got the thermal sensors coupled
8 with the speed governor. But then the machine would just turn off
9 abruptly. I was able to get it to run long enough to recompile by
10 putting a pencil up under the corner where the vents are, for more
11 clearance and airflow.
12
13 More details about the system might help you get better answers.
14