From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: What is the best way forward? - Update 2 - SUCCESS! - CURRENT!!!
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 23:03:50
1 On 2021-03-08, Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On 2/25/21 5:31 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:
3 >> 10 have git switch to the next day
4 >> 20 emerge -aDUN @world
5 >> 30 assess / deal with masked packages
6 >> 40 goto 10
7 >>
8 >> It /looks/ like things are working.
9 >
10 > *TL;DR*
11 >
12 > DenverCoder9: DEAR PEOPLE FROM THE FUTURE ...
13 >
14 > This method /does/ work. I have successfully brought the problem system
15 > from ~1 year old to ~current (Gentoo portage repo < 24 hours old).
16
17 How do you feel it compares to just installing from scratch while
18 preserving whatever config and user data you care about? I've done
19 that quite a few times and it usually takes about 2-3 hours for the
20 initial install and then overnight to build a desktop environment (if
21 one is needed).
24 The other Grant