From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wha' hoppen to firestarter?
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 18:58:31
1 On Wednesday 06 June 2007 15:10, John J. Foster wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 06:35:18AM -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
3 > > That helps some, but in net-firewall I'm finding a lot of unstable
4 > > packages, and no really good idea which ones will be the best for a
5 > > personal firewall, let alone which ones are best supported upstream so
6 > > this doesn't happen to me again. So I'm interested in
7 > > recommendations. What did you switch to?
8 >
9 > I've been using net-firewall/fwbuilder for a few years with no issues. I
10 > also find it pretty easy to use. Plus, it will also write rules for a
11 > Linksys WRT54G running openwrt.
12
13 I've also tried fwbuilder out (a pain to set up with ssh and what not), but
14 for some reason the naked truth of iptables and a little script I gradually
15 knocked up has prevailed as my chosen method of managing my firewalls.
16
17 Full transparency as to what goes in and what comes out.
18
19 PS. I found a pdf manual of fwbuilder somewhere in their website and it was
20 quite detailed and very helpful. Strongly recommended for anyone who starts
21 fiddling with it.
22 --
23 Regards,
24 Mick