From: Ralf <ralf+gentoo@×××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 'Heartbleed' bug
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 23:42:43
1 Hi,
2
3 On 04/11/2014 12:55 AM, walt wrote:
4 > Steve Gibson explained that the heartbeat feature was introduced in openssl to
5 > allow *UDP* connections to mimic the 'keepalive' function of the TCP protocol.
6 >
7 > IIRC Steve didn't explain how UDP bugs can compromise TCP connections.
8 >
9 > Anyone here really understand the underlying principles? If so, please explain!
10 yes, a TCP connection is stateful, so imho heartbeat is not necessary.
11
12 But you don't always speak "UDP" or "TCP".
13 Imagine some sort of direct connection without any type of
14 transportation layer.
15
16 As a generic cryptographic library, OpenSSL is designed to be adaptable
17 and universal. That broke OpenSSL's neck.
18
19 We only can hope, that the heartbeat exploit was not widely used before
20 they published that zero-day.
21 But we can be sure, that this is not going to be the last vulnerability
22 of this kind.
23
24 Regards
25 Ralf