From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lyx & texlive
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 19:11:35
1 On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 08:33:04PM +0200, b.n. wrote:
2 > ehm, I guess I wasn't clear.
3 > You *already* knew:
4 > - That there are texlive and tetex
5 > - That tetex was EOLed and texlive was the next choice
6 > - That tetex and texlive are mutually exclusive
7 > - That the ebuild was in the tree
8
9 Oh.. that...
10
11 > I knew, instead:
12 > - You want to install latex, this usually pushes down tetex. I always
13 > had tetex, on Gentoo and non-Gentoo distros, and I didn't ask myself
14 > anything about texlive.
15 > - I even *didn't know* there is texlive.
16 > - I didn't certainly know tetex was into problems: was there a
17 > widespread announcement of that *for people not following tetex
18 > development*?
19
20 tetex was not running into problems. tetex has almost always been a
21 one man act, and the maintainer, who, after over a decade of
22 maintaining bug fixes and what-nots, finally decided that he has no
23 more time and no longer cares enough. And he pulled through until a
24 viable alternative was available.
25
26 > - Knowing nothing about what tetex, texlive etc. are, I even could
27 > expect that they could happily live together (e.g., if they are two
28 > implementations of tex, that one could eselect one or the other. Naive,
29 > but why not?)
30 > - Knowing nothing about texlive, I couldn't know there was its ebuild.
31
32 The best thing to do would be to ask here, I think. Of course, that
33 leads to the problem of you not knowing that a question ought to be
34 asked to start with...
35
36 > Furthermore, kudos to your prudence: seeing a lot of use flags never
37 > raised me thoughts like "it must be complicated": it just lets me think
38 > "whoa, lots of nice options!".
39
40 Thanks for the compliment.
41
42 > Apart from this last point, that may just me being dense, where was that
43 > knowledge announced? Was it in the GMN (in that case, my fault)? Is
44 > there something else that I should regularly check for stuff like that?
45 > (another thing was the expat upgrade, which I understood was troublesome
46 > only from posts on this ML). I am subscribed to gentoo-announce, but
47 > there only a huge mass of GLSA are usually posted. What news source am I
48 > missing? Since it's 4 years I use Gentoo, I feel quite sad about that...
49
50 Let's just say I have an exceptionally good memory. The death of tetex
51 was announced about two years ago
52 http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20060612-newsletter.xml
53 and I know I also saw that fact somewhere on /. (perhaps not an
54 article but a comment). After I saw the announcements, I went to
55 http://www.tug.org/tetex/
56 where, the first thing they (I mean, Thomas Esser) say is that "I
57 suggest ... TeX Live project".
58
59 But, I agree, unless you are a tex junkie (like me) or an obsessive
60 reader of GMN/GWN (like me also) you may not have heard the news.
61
62 W
63 --
64 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
65 408 Fine Hall, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton
66 A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.
67 --
68 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list