From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partitioning strategy...?
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 17:55:10
1 On Nov 26, 2011 12:06 AM, "Stéphane Guedon" <stephane@××××××××××.eu> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Friday 25 November 2011 14:53:17 Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 > > I want to build a Gentoo server box whose structure is
5 > > highly-partitioned, like this:
6 > >
7 > > /
8 > > /boot
9 > > /usr
10 > > /tmp
11 > > /usr/portage ==> via NFS
12 > > /var
13 > > /var/lib/postgresql
14 > > /var/tmp
15 > > /var/log
16 > > /var/spool
19 ----- >8 snip
22 > I never set /usr separated from / especially on a server : if there's a
23 bug
24 > for any reason, nothing works ! (emerge is in /usr, gcc, ssh doesn't
25 start).
26 >
27 > But you are the one who decide !
30 Well, actually that's the reason why I want to separate /usr: I'm going to
31 mount it ro to prevent something bad happening to the extremely important
32 files within.
33
34 > This is my partition system :
35 > / ext3/4
36 > /home ext3/4
37 > /var reiserfs
38 > /tmp tmpfs
39 > /tmp_portage tmpfs (specifically for emerge, so I can mount or unmount it
40 when
41 > large compil start)
42 > /mnt/portage reiserfs (shared via nfs)
43 > /mnt/distfiles ext3/4 (shared via nfs)
46 Why do you separate the distfiles from the portage tree?
47
48 Rgds,