From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PORTAGE message
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:00:02
1 On 8/13/06, Hemmann, Volker Armin <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > On Monday 14 August 2006 04:39, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
5 > > This was not the first time. It wasn't the last either -- I'm looking at a
6 > > new fresh crop. Am I then to understand that none of these messages will
7 > > ever be warning ME that I need to do something (actually, I know that's not
8 > > true).
9 > >
10 > > If not, how am I to tell? What clues are you guys going on? Is it just
11 > > beyond some threshold of geekishness/incomprehensibility that marks it as
12 > > for devs only?
15 > the threashold is, that this is a warning about a function used in ebuilds to
16 > use a certain eclass, which is even more ebuild stuff. And correcting ebuilds
17 > is dev stuff.
18 >
19 > No need for geekiness threshold - if it is about ebuilds and eclasses, it is
20 > for devs. Heck, every problem/warning about an ebuild is for devs.
23 > If there is a message for the user, it is usually very easy to recognize.
24 > Stuff like: 'after updating package FOO to version X.Y.Z-r3 you need to
25 > rebuilt package BAR' is obviously for you, the user.
26
27 I'm not reassured. I don't think messages among devs should share a
28 channel with messages to users without some explicit tagging. The stuff
29 you say is for devs looks worrisome to me because I don't really understand
30 it. I'd like something more clear.
31 ++ kevin
35 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
36 --