From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommended filesystem for an SSD drive and what mount setting to be used?
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 10:22:35
1 On 27 March 2020 06:34:58 CET, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 >Hi,
3 >
4 >hopefully in the next daus my first SSD drive will arrive
5 >(corona makes everything more difficult...).
6 >
7 >To prevent an "installed and works"-experience which ends
8 >a month later in a damaged or over-weared SSD with a drastically
9 >shortened lifetime, I want to ask here for own experiences:
10 >
11 >- What is the best filesustem to be used with a SSD, which
12 > will used for /root when it comes to prolong life of that
13 > SSD ?
14 >
15 >- What options are recommended for the according mount command?
16 >
17 >Thanks a lot for any helpful advice in advance!
18 >
19 >Cheers!
20 >Meino
21
22 On my laptops and desktop I use EXT4 on all drives. My servers run ZFS.
23 Only SSD failure I had was after heavy use during a period of about 6 years. (Was an Intel one that apparently had some issues according to research online after it failed)
24
25 I do exclusively use SSDs from Intel (DC versions) and Samsung. Those tend to come out well from reviews.
26
27 Use fstrim semi regularly and you should be fine. Just make sure you take regular backups. The one failure I had was a complete loss. (Reading was also not possible)
30 Joost
31 --
32 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.