From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Extraordinarily laggy UI, keyboard, udev weirdness, KDE 4.5
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 17:06:46
1 On 08/12/2010 07:24 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 >[...]
3 > In X the UI responsiveness randomly goes bad, keyboard especially. At
4 > first it'll be fine, then simply using Konsole and typing will begin
5 > to slow down. Also, screen output in general seems to freeze until I
6 > touch the mouse or keyboard. Even something like listing a directory.
7 > It's really weird... It gets so bad that it becomes completely
8 > unresponsive, freezing for minutes at a tie. It eventually un-freezes
9 > momentarily, long enough to logout and back in at least. I disabled
10 > desktop effects but it still had the same problem. I tried Gnome
11 > briefly last night before going to sleep and didn't experience this
12 > slowdown problem.
13 >
14 > Anyone else had those same problems or know what I might try? I'm
15 > using nvidia-drivers and tried 3 different versions with no success. I
16 > have not yet tried downgrading my kernel or KDE installation, but
17 > that's next on the list of things to try tonight.
18
19 I suppose you're running a complete ~arch system, not just some packages?
20
21 Also, I had a somewhat similar problem with GUI slowness. It was a
22 matter of disabling the "Use VSync" checkbox in System Settings->Desktop
23 Effects->Advanced tab and enabling the "Disable functionality checks"
24 box in the same tab. Note that the desktop and all apps will keep being
25 tear-free and VSynced even if making those changes in System Settings.
26
27 Furthermore, I've set:
28
29 CheckIsSafe=false
30
31 in my ~/.kde4/share/config/kwinrc
32
33 After all that, KDE 4.5.0 runs perfectly for me using
34 gentoo-sources-2.6.35-r1, xorg-server-1.8.99.905, and the following live
35 (9999) packages:
36
37 media-libs/mesa
38 x11-proto/glproto