From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: High resolution on a 13 inch screen
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2017 21:17:03
1 >>>> I'm getting strange results from xdpyinfo. I always get 96x96 DPI and
2 >>>> the screen size changes along with the resolution. When I run 'xrandr
3 >>>> --dpi 200x200' and check xdpyinfo, it reports correctly. But if I log
4 >>>> out and back in to xfce4 without doing anything else, it gives me
5 >>>> 96x96 again.
6 >>>
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>> XFCE is probably forcing 96DPI by default. This is usually done by
10 >>> desktop
11 >>> environments that don't support DPI scaling very well. I just found this
12 >>> (sort of flame-war-ish) thread:
13 >>>
14 >>> https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=7734
15 >>>
16 >>> and indeed XFCE doesn't seem to have very good support for this. Maybe
17 >>> you
18 >>> can find some of the settings listed there useful though.
19 >>>
20 >>> Other than that, if you want working DPI scaling, you'll have much better
21 >>> luck with KDE 5 / Plasma.
24 >> Won't I freak out if I'm an xfce4 guy and I try to switch to KDE? Is
25 >> there a better choice for HiDPI migration for people who like xfce4?
28 > You could try LXQt, which is the upcoming replacement for LXDE. It's
29 > Qt-based, so DPI scaling *should* work well (no guarantees, didn't try it
30 > myself yet.) And its desktop philosophy is more similar to XFCE, meaning
31 > minimalist, non-bloated UIs.
32 >
33 > Anyway, if I were you, I'd just try all of them using live-CDs/USBs from
34 > various distros, and see what works best. LXDE, LXQt, Gnome, KDE, Budgie,
35 > those seem to be the main ones right now.
38 Great tips, thank you Nikos.
39
40 - Grant