From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't access disks after install
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 18:33:52
1 On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 19:13 +0200, Mick wrote:
2 > On 02/07/06, Rumen Yotov <rumen@××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > > > Hi,
5 > > >
6 > > > Brand new install, and the kernel can't access the SATA disks. I don't
7 > > > have the bandwidth to d/l an entire install CD and I have an up to date
8 > > > distfiles locally so I used the latest install CD I have - 2005.1
9 > > >
10 > > > Hardware: Dell Latitude D810 with 80G sata.
11 > > > / on /dev/sda7 (reiser)
12 > > > /boot on /dev/sda1 (ext2)
13 > > > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~x86, latest udev installed.
14 > > > /home, /usr, /opt, /var and distfiles on an lvm (all reiser)
15 > > > Install disk boots fine with full access to the disk.
16 > > >
17 > > > On boot the initramfs detects the hardware, but complains it can't find
18 > > > my / on /dev/sda7. Drop to a shell and the nodes are right there
19 > > > in /dev. The reiser module is not loaded, but it was configured as a
20 > > > module by genkernel.
21 >
22 > If your / fs is reiserfs then recompile your kernel with reiserfs in
23 > the kernel (not as a module) and see if it now finds your /.
24
25 That's worth a try - it'll take an hour or three to get everything set
26 up. But correct me if I'm wrong, I thought the whole point of using an
27 initramfs was to be able to compile *everything* as a module, including
28 the fs on / ? If not, that might explain why I've always had mixed
29 results with genkernel...
30
31 alan
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list