From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 5 - failure :-(
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 22:18:23
1 On 2012-03-14 20:45, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > Actually, a Lego brick is a good analogy for mdev (in its current
4 > state). It's a beautiful toy; but again, nobody has pointed out how to
5 > make it work with bluetooth devices, for example. From Walt's mail
6 > (his words, not mine):
7
8 You're completely missing the point about "lego". "Lego" in this context
9 means small, well defined, interoperable parts with well defined
10 interfaces (i.e. "unix"); small means easy to maintain (less complex).
11 And if you wish to play it like that: Your system (systemd, pulseaudio,
12 bluetooth, diverse gadgetry...) seems much more of a "toy" system to me...
13
14 > * XFCE
15
16 Not sure why it would be a problem running Xfce without udev support:
17 http://gezeiten.org/post/2011/01/Xfce-4.8-on-BSD-flavors
18 ... maybe things will change though...
19
20 Gnome and KDE *I* couldn't care less about; they're focused more on
21 singing and dancing than productivity...
22
23 > * lvm2
24
25 Alan Mackenzie seems to be able to run it with mdev...
26
27 > I'm willing to bet yet another beer that udev will not have the fate HAL had.
28
29 As complexity grows, bugs will too... which is why the unix concept have
30 worked for so long (KISS = "lego").
31
32 Best regards
33