From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Soft scrolling on framebuffer consoles - New version of the patch - with GPM handling.
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2023 15:13:13
1 Hello, Peter.
2
3 On Sat, Dec 31, 2022 at 16:13:23 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
4 > On Sat, Dec 31, 2022 at 15:47:01 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 > > Hello Alan,
6 > > On Saturday, 31 December 2022 14:08:43 GMT you wrote:
7
8 [ .... ]
9
10 > > I think you've put your finger on it:
11
12 > > $ file /lib/rc/console/font
13 > > /lib/rc/console/font: Linux/i386 PC Screen Font v2 data, 256 characters,
14 > > Unicode directory, 22x11
15
16 > > I use consolefont="ter-122n" from the terminus-font package. It's a long time
17 > > since I was able to read a high-resolution screen in its native resolution.
18
19 That's a nice font. I could get used to it if I wasn't so attached to
20 the 8x16 font.
21
22 > > Is there some way I can get the UEFI BIOS to boot with that font, or a larger
23 > > one? Or perhaps let the system boot without setting a font and then changing
24 > > it later?
25
26 > Probably, but it would be better if I just fixed the bug(s) in my changes to
27 > the kernel. Changing font size is something one should be able to do.
28
29 OK, the bug was that I was trying to free memory by calling the wrong
30 kernel function kfree, when it should have been kvfree. With that
31 correction, the kernel now boots in 11x22, at least for me.
32
33 > > Neither of those looks easy to do. I'd better have a good root through the
34 > > BIOS options to start with.
35
36 > A happy new year to you (and everybody else here), and give me somewhere
37 > between a few hours and a few days, and this bug should get fixed.
38
39 The included patch is still imperfect. When booting in 11x22, it doesn't
40 handle the early boot messages at all well. Also, I'm a little confused
41 by what a low-level scroll function is meant to do - sometimes, scrolling
42 happens when you type a CR, and want a line on the screen to be space
43 filled. Other times, you type <shift><PgUp> and don't want any space
44 filling to happen. So I'm not convinced that scrolling, invoked by, say,
45 an editor program, will work correctly.
46
47 > Again, thanks for such effective testing!
48
49 So, please try the attached patch, which is "at the same level" as my
50 patch from three days ago. For anybody who wants to try it new, I'm
51 repeating the instructions from that post:
52
53 >>>> To use it, please apply the supplied patch ON TOP OF the patch I
54 >>>> posted here on 12th December. Proceed as documented in that post,
55 >>>> up until configuring the kernel - in Device drivers/Graphic
56 >>>> support/Console display driver support, there's an extra item
57 >>>> "Enable a working GPM for scrolled back scrollback buffer in System
58 >>>> RAM" which should be enabled by default. Check this is set up
59 >>>> properly. Then build and install the kernel. Then reboot into it
60 >>>> and try it out.
61
62 > > --
63 > > Regards,