From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 21:31:56
1 On 28 Nov 2008, at 16:31, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I'm wondering, why is Windows that bad in this regard? Of course,
4 > FAT* is bad, but what's about NTFS? It is at least as modern as most
5 > Linux FS and has some nice features. Surely MS should be capable of
6 > implementing the same allocation algorithms we use. Or is NTFS
7 > really not bad in this regard and it's all just that people mix
8 > experiences with FAT* with NTFS?
9
10 No, NTFS *is* really bad in that regard. I've seen it HORRIBLY
11 fragmented, and defragging it make a REMARKABLE difference. At least
12 the nice thing is that Defrag not only fixes you the problem, but also
13 shows it before you run it.
14
15 Stroller.