From: Jarry <jarry@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] root logout: not clearing the screen...
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:30:31
1 Hi "gentoorians"! :-)
2
3 I have noticed some strange (and imho rather not secure) thing:
4
5 A common, "not root" user logs in on vc1 (2,3,4....), then he runs some
6 process which writes output to screen (e.g. "ls -al"), then he logs out.
7 After logging out the screen is cleared, and a new log-in prompt is
8 on the top of a screen. Except for log-in prompt and welcome message,
9 screen is empty...
10
11 Now root logs-in on vc1 (vc2,3...), also issues "ls -al", then exits.
12 But (to my big surprise), even after logging out, screen is not cleared,
13 and output of "ls -al" command (previously issued by root) is still
14 visible on the screen, and a new log-in prompt is on the bottom!
15
16 I am not expert for computer security, but this seems to me rather
17 illogical. I think it is quite dangerous to let output of root's work
18 remain on the screen after root logged itself out. How can I fix it?
19 But not something like "# echo clear >> $HOME/.bash_logout", this would
20 not work if root changes its shell. I'd prefer some "system fix"...
21
22 Jarry
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list