From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: udevil question for Helmut Jarausch
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 07:13:29
1 Am Wed, 17 Jun 2015 16:04:17 -0700
2 schrieb walt <w41ter@×××××.com>:
3
4 > Strange, it works here. I wonder if the difference is caused by your l10n, or
5 > maybe a bug. Are man pages always in English? I've been pondering the switch
6 > to man-db but I'm not motivated to deal with any fallout and disk space is cheap.
7
8 Helmut might have meant that "man stat" show the wrong man page, namely that of
9 the stat(1) shell command. "man 3 stat" works, but refers to the more complete
10 man page fstatat(3p), which is still a different man page than stat(2) (which
11 is what "man lstat" will give you).
12
13 Besides which, I switched to man-db a while ago, in February 2013, with zero
14 problems. My main motivation was that sys-apps/man had some minor formatting
15 bugs that have been unresolved for years, and I also wanted to switch to
16 something that was maintained. And no, man pages are not always in English
17 (although personally I tend to prefer the original English man pages to the
18 German translations).
21 Marc Joliet
22 --
23 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
24 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup