From: Andy Wilkinson <drukargin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SMB/CIFS or NFS?
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 01:41:46
1 On 04/20/2011 06:21 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > Okay, I'm combining the portage distfiles dir into a storage server.
3 >
4 > Problem: the storage server is Windows 2003.
5 >
6 > Question: should I mount the distfile dir using SMB/CIFS or NFS? Is
7 > there any performance and/or complexity issues?
8 >
9 > Thanks in advance.
10 >
11 > Rgds,
12 >
13 I have noticed better performance in straight copies from NFS on my
14 Windows SBS 2003, but I have had some trouble getting UIDs to map
15 correctly on the linux end. Admittedly, though, I haven't gone to a
16 great deal of effort to map every Windows user to a UID. I haven't
17 tested rsync, but cp did go much more quickly on the files I was looking
18 at (few, >2GB files).
19
20 -Andy