From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel doesn't accept any initramfs
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 11:03:16
1 On Thursday, March 26, 2020 7:50:29 AM CET andrey.vul@×××××.com wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 8:23 AM J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday, March 24, 2020 10:57:59 PM CET andrey.vul@×××××.com wrote:
4 > > > On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 2:45 AM J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > > > > On Tuesday, March 24, 2020 4:55:49 AM CET andrey.vul@×××××.com wrote:
6 > > > > > I've somehow built a kernel that won't accept any initramfs. To
7 > > > > > elaborate, it hangs in shell in dracut and panicks with a minimal
8 > > > > > initramfs as if it rejects the initramfs entirely and tries to boot
9 > > > > > an
10 > > > > > lvm volume, which of course, fails.
11 > > > > >
12 > > > > > Kernel config:
13 > > > > > http://sprunge.us/tqz3BM
14 > > > > >
15 > > > > > The minimal initramfs is described by the file listing
16 > > > > > http://sprunge.us/GQVbqc
17 > > > > > and init script http://sprunge.us/YHWY9Z , though this script is of
18 > > > > > limited use since even with `exec sh` in the first non-comment line,
19 > > > > > the kernel doesn't follow through.
20 > > > > >
21 > > > > > Thoughts?
22 > > > >
23 > > > > Please provide the info as attachments instead of temporary links.
24 > >
25 > > Few thoughts:
26 > >
27 > > 1) Are you certain your initramfs includes everything? My "config" file is
28 > > a lot longer.
29 >
30 > Yes, and it is the absolute bare minimum necessary.
31
32 Ok, I don't use static binaries, simply use a ldd-script to generate the
33 shared libs-list for the config.
34
35 > > 2) How are you generating the initramfs?
36 >
37 > /usr/src/linux/usr/gen_init_cpio /usr/src/initramfs/files.list | xz -z
38
39 Have you checked all files are included after this?
40
41 > > /boot/intramfs-....img
42 > >
43 > > 3) how are you adding it to the bootloader?
44 >
45 > Grub's default form. To elaborate, the usual method grub does when
46 > generating a linux entry in grub-mkconfig.
47
48 Did you manage to find out if the initramfs file was actually added to the
49 correct entry?
50
51 > > 4) Have you tried embedding the initramfs into the kernel?
52 >
53 > Yes, and that made it work. Weird how it didn't work not embedded into
54 > the kernel.
55 > On further thought, it worked after a couple of debugging iterations.
56 > Could it have been the bugs in the script at fault?
57
58 Perhaps, but I suggested this as it's the only way I could make it work on my
59 old laptop. "grub-mkconfig" only matches kernels and initramfs files together
60 if they follow a specific naming convention.
63 > > Also, can you provide the kernel messages leading to and including the
64 > > panic? (Either full text or a clear photo taken with a
65 > > camera/phone/tablet)
66 > Well, the two panics were either trying to kill init or the familiar
67 > "VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)". Kernel
68 > framebuffer load reset grub's high res console and the panic took over
69 > the screen so messages right before would've been impossible to
70 > extract without something like a serial console.
73 I tend to disable the framebuffer and screen cleaning until I have a working
74 boot.
75 And when it boots, I tend to forget enabling all that as I have more important
76 things to do.
79 Joost