From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [gentoo-user] Choose a wireless access point
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 14:10:06
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
3 > Sent: Monday, April 4, 2022 8:05 PM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [gentoo-user] Choose a wireless access point
8 > On 4/4/22 23:12, Jack wrote:
9 > > On 4/4/22 01:31, William Kenworthy wrote:
10 > >> Is there a way force openrc and wpa_supplicant to map a particular
11 > >> access point to an interface or fail?
12 > >>
13 > >> I have two AP's (each on a different ssid) to connect to so have two
14 > >> wifi interfaces - unfortunately they are not equal so I want wlan0 to
15 > >> connect to only one particular AP, and wlan1 to the other ... reliably!
16 > >> I can manually force it to connect but invariably at the first glitch
17 > >> they both end up connected to the same AP (usually the strongest
18 > >> which is often not what I want :(
19 > >>
20 > >> BillK
21 > >
22 > > I don't know about wpa-supplicant, but I'm using open-rc and KDE, and
23 > > KDE's systemsettings Network / Connections screen lets you restrict a
24 > > network connection so a specific device. Not sure if this helps you
25 > > any, but it would indicate that what you want is possible.
26 > >
27 > > Jack
28 > >
29 > Hi Jack, unfortunately its a headless, wifi only system which is why getting openrc to behave is important!
30 >
31 > BillK
32
33 The bit where specifying the SSID in conf.d/net doesn't work sounds like a bug to me, but one that may take a while to be fixed since I'm not sure how many people use netifrc with wireless.
34
35 If you're open to experimenting, NetworkManager will let you specify that connections may only be used with specific adapters. While normally considered a GUI tool it does have nmcli and nmtui for configuring it on headless systems.
36
37 LMP