From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pppoe questions
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2015 15:42:18
1 On 6 November 2015 at 17:28, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > finally I got set up pppoe, which turned out to be surprisingly easy.
5 > It's working fine, though I'm getting a warning when the pppoe interface
6 > is brought up:
9 > heimdali init.d # service net.ppp0 start
10 > * Bringing up interface ppp0
11 > * Starting pppd in ppp0 ... [ ok ]
12 > * Backgrounding ...
13 > * WARNING: net.ppp0 has started, but is inactive
14 > heimdali init.d #
17 > Why is this warning showing, and what can I do about it?
20 this warning can be safely ignored, all it tells you is that the
21 service will be fully up when connection will be established.
22 the same state is for ethernet until the ifplugd detects connection to network.
23
24 > How does pppoe work together with shorewall and bind?
25 >
26 > When I stop the net.ppp0 service, shorewall is automatically stopped as
27 > well. When I start net.ppp0, shorewall is not started automatically.
28 >
29 > I would like to automatically have net.ppp0 first started and then
30 > shorewall.
31
32 usually the firewall service should be started before all interfaces
33 (except lo).
34 add the following to /etc/conf.d/net.ppp0:
35 ---
36 rc_net_ppp0_need="firewall net.enp2s0"
37 ---
38
39 this will make sure that the ppp0 interface is started after both
40 firewall and enp2s0.
41
42 I also have the following in /etc/rc.conf to avoid stopping services
43 while network is down:
44 ---
45 rc_hotplug="!net.enp2s0 !net.ppp*"
46 ---
47
48 > When net.ppp0 is stopped and restarted, I also must restart the name
49 > server (bind) :( Otherwise it is unable to resolve anything.
50 >
51 > Can this somehow be avoided? If not, can this be done automatically?
52
53 this is strange... why bind must be restarted?
54 I use dnsmasq and it survive network down without any issue.
55 but if you must, add the following to /etc/conf.d/net.ppp0:
56 ---
57 postup() {
58 # whatever required after interface is up
59 return 0
60 }
61 ---
64 > The log files show martian sources from a bridge device which is used
65 > for the networking of a container:
68 > [1734776.722127] IPv4: martian source 255.255.255.255 from 192.168.1.1, on dev enp2s0
69 > [1734776.722132] ll header: 00000000: ff ff ff ff ff ff 00 0b 6b 81 c9 44 08 00 ........k..D..
72 > The enp2s0 interface is used for pppoe, 192.168.1.1 is the IP of the
73 > bridge. The bridge does not have a physical network interface assigned
74 > to it.
75 >
76 > The routefilter option is enabled on all interfaces. Why would there be
77 > such a broadcast originating from the bridge, and how can I prevent it?
78
79 not sure what you describe here, but maybe you would like to disable
80 spanning tree, add the following to disable spanning tree to
81 /etc/conf.d/br0.conf (provided br0 is the name of the bridge).
82 ---
83 stp_state_br0=0
84 ---
87 > --
88 > Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
89 > might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.