From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Creating an firmware image from a too large microSDcard...?
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 09:27:37
1 On Sat, 16 Jan 2016 04:50:49 +0100, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2
3 > to post a firmware image of my embedded linux computer
4 > to a friend I want to size it down.
5 >
6 > System wise I did that already (only the really necessary
7 > stuff of Gentoo plus some configuration and addons related
8 > to the embedded system)...the problem comes with the size of
9 > the microSDcard I use: 32 GB....
10 >
11 > The microSDcard (source) has two partitions (boot + the rest).
12 > The boot partition is the first partition and it is of a fixed
13 > and tiny size. The second partition contains the "rest": Gentoo.
14 > Currently the used space of this partition is also small.
15 >
16 > The image needs to be of a format, which makes
17 > it possble to 'dd' it onto a microSDcard (target) and afterwards use
18 > g/parted to resize/expand the second partition to the end
19 > of the microSDcard to get all storage space available.
20
21 Quick and kludgy. Partition an SD card of the correct size, rsync your
22 data to it, then dd that card.
23
24 Any other method you use will require you to have a smaller SD card to
25 test the resultant image, so you may as well use that as the source and
26 know it works.
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 Things which must be shipped together as a set, aren't.