From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Avahi + mDNSResponder at the same time?
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 21:00:08
1 On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 11:38 -0800, John Lowry wrote:
2 > I was under the impression that avahi with the mDNSResponder-compat
3 > USE
4 > flag would make it possible to have both mDNSResponder and avahi
5 > installed at the same time, yet I am getting blocked packages error
6 > messages. Is this impossible to pull off?
7
8 If you USE=mdnsResponder-compat you are telling avahi that you *don't*
9 want mDNSRespdonder. Consider the ebuild:
10
11 mdnsresponder-compat? ( !net-misc/mDNSResponder )
12
13 So enabling the flag is results in explicit blockage.
14
15 But, I'm assuming, the flag provides avahi with
16 mdnsresponder-compat(ibility) so you shouldn't need both installed at
17 the same time.
18
19 Also, from the USE description:
20
21 mdnsresponder-compat : Enable compat libraries for mDNSResponder
22
23 So it looks like having them both installed simultaneously would result
24 in both providing the same service.
25
26 HTH,
27 -a