From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Software RAID vs "Fake" RAID
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:29:28
1 On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 16:18:39 +0400, Yahya Mohammad wrote:
2
3 > I'm setting up a new desktop machine with RAID 0. The motherboard I
4 > bought supports the so-called "Fake" RAID, which offloads most of the
5 > processing to the system CPU. What are the pros and cons of using this
6 > as opposed to pure software RAID?
7
8 The advantage of FakeRAID is that you get to depend on a Windows-only
9 driver that only works with your motherboard and will prevent the RAID
10 working if the motherboard files and you try to connect the drives to a
11 different system. For some reason,this gives Windows users a warm, fuzzy
12 feeling.
16 Neil Bothwick
17
18 Bumper Sticker: If you can read this, you are in phaser range.